Professional Dental Indemnity act to introduce you to a contractual policy of insurance. The defence organisations have provided cover for many years on a discretionary basis but this is more and more considered to be flawed as discretion can be used.
The UK is the only EU Member state (apart from Ireland and Malta) where discretionary indemnity is still allowed, which means that UK dental patients may be left without adequate provision for compensation. This applies even if their dentist follows the ethical guidelines stated by the GDC that they should have appropriate arrangements in place for patients to seek compensation.
Dr Christine Tomkins who heads up the DDU has stated very clearly the case for insured schemes.
This was during the period when the DDU provided insured cover. The DDU has for their own reasons gone back to discretionary cover. However, we agree with the statement she made to the European Committee .
In summary, we can introduce you to the following cover.
- Dental malpractice cover for clinical negligence
- 24 hour helpline manned by highly experienced lawyers
- Professional indemnity cover for legal reports or your activities as a clinical support supervisor
- The costs of a public relations firm to protect your professional reputation
- Court attendance costs through a daily allowance
- Defamation cover following a report written by you
- Run off cover for 15 years following retirement, death or permanent disablement.
- Cover for cyber events, security breaches, identity theft, computer damage and breach of data.
- Legal defence costs to defend GDC investigations, clinical negligence claims, tax investigations and regulatory investigations stemming from security breaches.
We believe you get what you pay for. We would encourage you to compare the products we can provide with any other on the market.
Please note we are not authorised to provide advice or arrange insurance policies. If you wish to discuss your insurance requirements please contact us and we will pass your details to St Giles Legal and Professional Risks limited who are Insurance Brokers and specialise within this area.
Professional Dental Indemnity Limited trading as Professional Dental Indemnity is an Introducer appointed representative of St Giles Legal and Professional Risks limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and is entered on the Financial Services Register (http://www.fca.org.uk/register).
Registered address: Lynwood House, 373 – 375 Station Road, Harrow, HA1 2AW Registered in England and Wales No: 10977186